Tuesday 1 August 2006

Segway Centaur, step forward or back?

There is something about the Segway that I like. I don't know what it is - maybe its a childhood dream of being Johnny Five, but I've always thought they were neat.

Living in the UK they're a rare sight, but on an Orlando holiday last year, I watched as the security in the parks whizzed around on them - I was tired from walking around all day so this made me especially envious.

But this is the Segway concept, called Centaur and you can catch a neat video of it at YouTube. Is this an improvement over the two wheeled version? Well I'm not sure, it seems more versatile and its more quad like appearance might help it to be more widely accepted -but then isnt it kind of against the whole two wheeled, up right approach that makes the Seqway interesting? Perhaps though this version will catch on better as except for the odd President and Park Security the current Segway's hardly a roaring success.

1 comment:

Stuart said...

Yeah it does seem like a step back in some ways. The whole clever thing about the original was the gyro system that enabled it to be upright. Is this clever too, is it more than just a funky quad?