Monday 16 October 2006

Samsung NV10 - point and shoot impressions




Samsung NV10

-10.1 Megapixels
-3x Optical Zoom
-Advanced Shake Reduction (ASR)
-“Smart Touch” User Interface
-Large 2.5" TFT LCD
-ISO 1000

Over the weekend, I got to put the NV10 through its paces a little, I say a little because I didn't use it as anything more than a put-it-in-your-pocket snapper.

I had fairly high hopes for this little fella, I like the retro black look and the hookup to my Mac was as usual, a piece of cake.

However for a 10.1 megapixel camera I hoped for more and those hopes were mostly dashed.

The unit is small and light, but the screen's prone to scratching, the USB cable that plugs in and acts as a charger too, means you can't stand the camera up whilst connecting it to your computer, which means it lays on its screen or face -neither being ideal.

The back is lined with a series of touch sensitive, contextual buttons. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it does work. Not great if, like me, you choose your settings as you go, lining up a shot then needing both hands to operate the touch sensitive buttons on the back.

The macro mode is good, but didn't seem as good as the Sony T10 I used recently. The resulting images are ok, but again, I've been more impressed with my rather old (if now broken) Sony P10.

The camera responds quickly, the burst modes and video modes work well, time between shots seems fast and initial switch on to picture taking was acceptable - but overall I was disappointed.

The unit's realtively cheap to buy, about £225 on-line. And for that sort of money maybe I'm being too harsh. However, I thought that image quality was lacking, colours seemed quite dull and the heralded ASR (anti-shake to help with your images) wasn't that great either.

I've not gone through the unit exhaustively, in fact I've used it as I would any easy to pick up point and shoot. But in those circumstances, my 4-year old Sony P10 did a better job, albeit slower and more chunky.

No comments: